|Translated by Abdullah Yusuf Ali||Translated by Hilali Khan|
|Surah 81 - The Overthrowing
With the Name of Allah, the Merciful Benefactor, The Merciful Redeemer
1. When the sun (with its spacious light) is folded up;
2. When the stars fall, losing their lustre;
3. When the mountains vanish (like a mirage);
4. When the she-camels, ten months with young, are left untended;
5. When the wild beasts are herded together (in the human habitations);
6. When the oceans boil over with a swell;
7. When the souls are sorted out, (being joined, like with like);
8. When the female (infant), buried alive, is questioned -
9. For what crime she was killed;
10. When the scrolls are laid open;
11. When the world on High is unveiled;
12. When the Blazing Fire is kindled to fierce heat;
13. And when the Garden is brought near -
14. (Then) shall each soul know what it has put forward.
15. So verily I call to witness the planets - that recede,
16. Go straight, or hide;
17. And the Night as it dissipates;
18. And the Dawn as it breathes away the darkness -
19. Verily this is the word of a most honourable Messenger,
20. Endued with Power, with rank before the Lord of the Throne,
21. With authority there, (and) faithful to his trust.
22. And (O people!) your companion is not one possessed;
23. And without doubt he saw him in the clear horizon.
24. Neither doth he withhold grudgingly a knowledge of the Unseen.
25. Nor is it the word of an evil spirit accursed.
26. When whither go ye?
27. Verily this is no less than a Message to (all) the Worlds:
28. (With profit) to whoever among you wills to go straight:
29. But ye shall not will except as Allah wills - the Cherisher of the Worlds."
|81. Surah At-Takwir (Wound around and lost its Light)
1. When the sun Kuwwirat (wound round and lost its light and is overthrown).
2. And when the stars shall fall;
3. And when the mountains shall made to pass away;
4. And when the pregnant she-camels shall be neglected;
5. And when the wild beasts shall be gathered together;
6. And when the seas shall become as blazing Fire or shall overflow;
7. And when the souls shall be joined with their bodies;
8. And when the female (infant) buried alive (as the pagan Arabs used to do) shall be questioned.
9. For what sin she was killed?
10. And when the written pages of deeds (good and bad) of every person shall be laid open;
11. And when the heaven shall be stripped off and taken away from its place;
12. And when Hell-fire shall be kindled to fierce ablaze.
13. And when Paradise shall be brought near,
14. (Then) every person will know what he has brought (of good and evil).
15. So verily, I swear by the planets that recede (i.e. disappear during the day and appear during the night).
16. And by the planets that move swiftly and hide themselves,
17. And by the night as it departs;
18. And by the dawn as it brightens;
19. Verily, this is the Word (this Qur'an brought by) a most honourable messenger [Jibrael (Gabriel), from Allah to the Prophet Muhammad ].
20. Owner of power, and high rank with (Allah) the Lord of the Throne,
21. Obeyed (by the angels), trustworthy there (in the heavens).
22. And (O people) your companion (Muhammad) is not a madman;
23. And indeed he (Muhammad) saw him [Jibrael (Gabriel)] in the clear horizon (towards the east).
24. And he (Muhammad) withholds not a knowledge of the unseen.
25. And it (the Qur'an) is not the word of the outcast Shaitan (Satan).
26. Then where are you going?
27. Verily, this (the Qur'an) is no less than a Reminder to (all) the 'Alamin (mankind and jinns).
28. To whomsoever among you who wills to walk straight,
29. And you will not, unless (it be) that Allah wills, the Lord of the 'Alamin (mankind, jinns and all that exists).